- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 4 teaspoons reduced-fat shredded Parmesan cheese
In a 3 1/2- to 5-quart slow cooker, place beans, corn, barley, tomatoes, mushrooms, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, oregano, salt (if desired) and pepper. Pour in broth, stir and cover and cook on low heat for 8-9 hours (or on high heat for 4-5 hours).
Near end of cooking time, stir cornstarch into milk. Stir milk mixture into slow cooker until well blended. Continue cooking 20-30 minutes or until soup has thickened. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and cheese at serving time.
Recipe created by Chef Frank Scibelli, chef/owner of Mama Ricotta’s and Cantina Fifteen Eleven, Charlotte, N.C., on behalf of 3-Every-Day™ of Dairy.