- Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Act of 2004 (P.L. 108.265), signed June 30, 2004, Sec. 102.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2005. 6th Edition. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, January 2005. www.healthierus.gov/dietaryguidelines.
- Ogden, C.L., K.M. Flegal, M.D. Carroll, et al. JAMA 288: 1728, 2002.
- Hedley, A.A., C.L. Ogden, C.L. Johnson, et al. JAMA 291: 2847, 2004.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Prevent and Decrease Overweight and Obesity. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 2000. http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library.
- The American Dietetic Association. J. Am. Diet. Assoc. 104: 660, 2004.
- Institute of Medicine of the National Academies. Preventing Childhood Obesity, Health in the Balance. Washington, D.C.: The National Academies Press, 2005.
- Moshfegh, A., J. Goldman, and L. Cleveland. What We Eat in America, NHANES 2001-2002: Usual Nutrient Intakes from Food Compared to Dietary Reference Intakes. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, 2005. www.ars.usda.gov/foodsurvey.
- Institute of Medicine, Food and Nutrition Board. Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Vitamin D, and Fluoride. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press, 1997.
- Weinberg, L.G., L.A. Berner, and J.E. Groves. J. Am. Diet. Assoc. 104: 895, 2004.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. Release 18, 2005. Nutrient Data Laboratory Home Page. www.ars.usda.gov/ba/bhnrc/ndl.
- Grunbaum, J.A., L. Kann, S. Kinchen, et al. Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Rep. 53(SS-2): 1, 2004.
- Rajeshwari, R., S.-J. Yang, T.A. Nicklas, et al. J. Am. Diet. Assoc. 105: 208, 2005.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Bone Health and Osteoporosis: A Report of the Surgeon General. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Surgeon General, 2004. www.surgeongeneral.gov/library.
- National Dairy Council. Dairy Council Digest 76(5): 25, 2005. www.nationaldairycouncil.org
- National Dairy Council. Dairy Council Digest 76(6): 31, 2005. www.nationaldairycouncil.org.
- Freedman, D.S., W.H. Dietz, R. Srinivasan, et al. Pediatrics 103(6): 1175, 1999.
- Narayan, K.M.V., J.P. Boyle, T.J. Thompson, et al. JAMA 290: 1884, 2003.
- Boyd, G.S., J. Koenigsberg, B. Falkner, et al. Pediatrics 116: 442, 2005.
- Nicklas, T.A. J. Am. Coll. Nutr. 22: 340, 2003.
- Schwimmer, J.B., T.M. Burwinkle, and J.W. Varni. JAMA 289: 1818, 2003.
- Datar, A., R. Sturm, and J. Magnabosco. Obes. Res. 12: 58, 2004.
- Taras, H. J. Sch. Health 75(6): 199, 2005.
- Wang, G., and W. Dietz. Pediatr. 109: 81, 2002.
- Etnier, J.L., W. Salazaw, W. Landers, et al. J. Sport. Exerc. Physiol. 19(3): 249, 1997.
- Action for Healthy Kids. The Learning Connection: The Value of Improving Nutrition and Physical Activity in Our Schools 2004. www.actionforhealthykids.org
- Wechsler, H., M.L. McKenna, S.M. Lee, et al. The State Education Standard 5(2): 4, 2004.
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Committee on School Health. Pediatrics 113: 152, 2004.
- Kubik, M.Y., L.A. Lytle, and M. Story. J. Am. Diet. Assoc. 105: 233, 2005.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, Office of Analysis, Nutrition and Evaluation (USDA/FNS). The School Nutrition Dietary Assessment Study-II. Summary of Findings. July 2001. Alexandria, VA. www.fns.usda.gov.
- Kann, L., J.A. Grunbaum, M.L. McKenna, et al. Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Rep. 54(37): 917, 2005.
- U.S. Government Accountability Office, Report to Congressional Requesters. School Meal Programs. Competitive Foods Are Widely Available and Generate Substantial Revenues for Schools. GAO-05-563. August 2005. www.gao.gov
- CDC National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. School Health Policies and Programs Study (SHPPS) 2000. www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dash/shpps/index.htm
- Action for Healthy Kids. Parents’ Views on School Wellness Practices. National public opinion research jointly conducted by Action for Healthy Kids, Pursuant, Inc., and Knowledge Networks, September 2005. www.actionforhealthykids.org
- Food and Nutrition Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, and U.S. Department of Education. FNS-374. Making It Happen! School Nutrition Success Stories. Alexandria, VA, January 2005.
- Cook, A.J., and J.E. Friday. Pyramid Servings Intakes in the United States, 1999-2002, 1 Day. CNRG Table Set 3.0, 2004. Beltsville, MD: USDA, Agricultural Research Service, Community Nutrition Research Group. www.ba.ars.usda.gov/cnrg.
- National Dairy Council and American School Food Service Association (now School Nutrition Association). The School Milk Pilot Test. Beverage Marketing Corporation for National Dairy Council and American School Food Service Association. 2002. www.nutritionexplorations.org/pdf/sfs/dairy_schoolwellnessNEW.pdf(under School Foodservice, then New Look of School Milk).
Coming Next Issue: Dairy's Beneficial Role in Women's Health
National Dairy Council® assumes the responsibility for this publication. However, we would like to acknowledge the help and suggestions of the following reviewer in its preparation:
- Constance G. Mueller, MS, RD, SFNS Director of Food and Nutrition Services, Bloomington Public Schools District 87 Bloomington, IL
The Dairy Council Digest® is written and edited by Lois D. McBean, M.S., R.D.
Copyright © 2006, NATIONAL DAIRY COUNCIL,®
O’Hare International Center, 10255 West Higgins Road,
Suite 900, Rosemont, IL 60018-5616.
« Previous page
Table of Contents: